Social Media

Activist Stan Swamy Conspired With Maoists To Overthrow Government: Court


Activist Stan Swamy Conspired With Maoists To Overthrow Government: Court

Elgar Parishad-Maoists links case: NIA court refused bail to 83-year-old activist Stan Swamy

Mumbai:

The special NIA court that refused bail to 83-year-old activist Stan Swamy in the Elgar Parishad-Maoists links case has held that based on material on record Stan Swamy had schemed a “serious conspiracy” with members of a banned Maoist organisation to create unrest in the country and to overthrow the government.

Special judge DE Kothalikar, who rejected Stan Swamy’s bail plea on Monday, said in his order, which was made available today, that based on the material on record it seemed Stan Swamy was a member of banned Maoist organisation.

The material that the court referred to included around “140 e-mails between the applicant (Stan Swamy) and his co-accused,” the fact that Stan Swamy and others he communicated with, were referred to as “comrades”, and that Stan Swamy had received Rs eight lakh from one “Comrade Mohan”, allegedly for the furtherance of Maoist activities.

“Prima facie it can be gathered that the applicant along with other members of the banned organisation hatched a serious conspiracy to create unrest in the entire country and to overpower the Government, politically and by using muscle power,” Judge Kothalikar said in his order.

“The material placed on record thus prima facie denote that the applicant was not only the member of banned organisation CPI (Maoist) but he was carrying out activities further in the objective of the organisation which is nothing but to overthrow the democracy of the nation,” the order read.

Stan Swamy was arrested from Ranchi in October, 2020, and has since been in Taloja Central Jail in Navi Mumbai.

The judge also refused to take into the account a published report of alleged tampering with the computer of Stan Swamy’s co-accused in the case, Rona Wilson.

He said that raising questions on the authenticity of the evidence in the case would amount to interference with the court proceedings.

“It is well known that present proceeding is sub judice. Therefore, making any comments as to the evidence to be placed before the Court would amount to interference in the administration of justice. In fact, such act is required to be deprecated,” the order read.

Stan Swamy had applied for bail in November last year both on medical grounds and on merits. He had said in his plea that he suffered from Parkinson’s disease, and had lost hearing in both his ears.

Stan Swamy had also argued that while in the Taloja prison, he had to be shifted to the prison hospital owing to his ill health.

Stan Swamy’s lawyer Sharif Shaikh had told the special court that the activist was not a flight risk and will not jump bail.

Stan Swamy also said in his plea that his name was not even part of the original FIR but was added in the remand application in 2018 by the police as a suspected accused.

Mr Shaikh argued that the NIA had failed to find anything incriminating against Stan Swamy in the raids conducted at his home in Ranchi.

The court, however, held the fact that Stan Swamy had not been named in the initial FIR, did not entitle him to any relief.

On his health condition, the judge cited previous Supreme Court judgements to hold that given the seriousness of the allegations made against Stan Swamy, the “collective interest of the community would outweigh Stan Swamy’s right to personal liberty”.

“As such the old age and or alleged sickness of the applicant would not go in his favour,” the judge said.

Special Public Prosecutor Prakash Shetty, who appeared for the National Investigation Agency (NIA), had opposed Stan Swamy’s bail application, saying he was involved with the banned Communist Party of India (Maoist).

Mr Shetty had told the court that Stan Swamy was a staunch supporter of organisations such as ‘Vistapan Virodhi Jan Vikas Andolan’ and ‘People’s Union for Civil Liberties’ which were involved in activities for the CPI (Maoists).

Judge Kothalikar accepted the prosecution’s submissions saying they had “substance”.

“Upon cumulative consideration of all the aforesaid circumstances as well as law on the subject, I conclude that the applicant has failed to make out a case for grant of bail,” the judge said.

The case relates to alleged inflammatory speeches delivered at the ‘Elgar Parishad’ conclave held at Shaniwarwada in Pune on December 31, 2017, which police suspect triggered violence the next day near the Koregaon-Bhima war memorial located on the outskirts of the city.

Varavara Rao, Rona Wilson and some other activists are being tried at a special court in Mumbai after the NIA took over probe.

The Pune police had claimed that the conclave was backed by outlawed Maoist groups.
 

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



Source link

What's your reaction?

Excited
0
Happy
0
In Love
0
Not Sure
0
Silly
0

You may also like

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in:Social Media